Rossall is a day and boarding school with a long history dating back to 1844. We welcome British and international students from many different countries and usually have over 35 nationalities on campus. This means that Rossall is a very special and exciting place to live and study. We have a lot of experience in looking after international students and our staff understand how difficult it can be if you are living away from home for the first time. We will make sure you have all the information and help you need before coming to the UK. This includes the CAS letter for your visa application: we use a company called TTP Law who will give you all the support you need with this. After you arrive we continue to give you help and advice on your studies during your time here. Many of the staff live in school and are here to help you 24 hours a day during term-time. In the Sixth Form (year 12 and 13) we also help you with university and career choices.
Students with very good English can join our mainstream (or “main school”) courses, while students who still need to improve their English language skills can join one of our special Fast-track international courses. You will have a tutor who can help you if you have any problems with your course, or if you need extra help in any of your subjects. All international students at Rossall live in boarding houses with British students so you have the opportunity to improve your English outside the classroom. You can also join in with British students in the fantastic range of sports and activities that take place outside of lessons, including art, music, drama, CCF, extracurricular activities, social events, house competitions, and day and residential trips.
It is possible to join us for a term or longer, and we have a wide range of courses suitable for students with a variety of interests and abilities.
Please watch the videos below where some of our international students talk to you in their own language about their experience at our wonderful school.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT CASE STUDIES
To apply, please complete our application form. International students will usually be required to complete an entry test in English, and may be asked to attend an interview which can be arranged via Skype if preferred. Our admissions team in the registry will be able to answer any questions you may have, and guide you through the process.
Pour plus d'informations, veuillez cliquer ici한국어
여기를 눌러주시면, 조금 더 자세한 정보를 확인하실 수 있습니다Tiếng Việt
Để biết thêm thông tin, xin hãy nhấn vào đâyDeutsche
Für weitere Informationen klicken Sie bitte hierрусский
Если вы хотите узнать больше, пожалуйста, кликните сюда中文
Hay más información pulsando aquíไทย
Per ulteriori informazioni clicca quiPortuguese
Para mais informacao clique aquiArabic
لمزيدٍ من المعلومات يُرجى الضَّغط هناHindi
अधिक जानकारी के लिए यहां क्लिक करेंTurkish
daha fazla bilgi için buraya tıklayınPolish
Aby uzyskać więcej informacji, kliknij tutaj
Direct entry into senior school
International students with a very good level of English may be accepted for entry straight onto our full British curriculum courses in senior school, including GCSE, A Level and IB. Lessons in English as an Additional Language (EAL) will be available for those who need them. Students in years 7-12 usually have four hours of EAL a week, and students in year 13 have three hours. In EAL, students will develop the general English skills they need for living and studying in the UK. They will also have the opportunity to take English Language exams such as Cambridge First Certificate, CAE or IELTS and will receive the necessary preparation and support for these. We offer a wide range of subject choices at GCSE, A Level and IB. Click here for more details. Click here for more details.
Fast-Track Programmes for international students
We offer a range of special courses for international students of different ages and abilities who are not yet ready for the full British curriculum. Students on these courses will study English and a range of other subjects, further details of which are given in the table below. They will have the support of the English as an Additional Language (EAL) Department whose teachers are well-qualified and experienced in working with learners of English. In EAL lessons, students will develop their knowledge of grammar and vocabulary as well as the reading, writing, speaking and listening skills they need to live and study in the UK. The number of EAL lessons students have will vary according to their level of English and their language learning needs.
As students’ English skills develop, we prepare and enter them for a range of English Language examinations including KET, PET, FCE, CAE, IGCSE English as a Second Language, IGCSE First Language English, and IELTS, for which they will receive the necessary preparation and practice.
The following table shows the courses available. Please contact us for more details on any of the programmes listed.
|Age||Course||British Curriculum Key Stage||Start Dates||Progression Routes|
|5-10||PYP with English support: Year 1-6
In Rossall Junior School, the PYP (Junior International Baccalaureate) is followed with additional English Language Support as required.
|11-15||Fast-track English Plus: Year 7-10
This English and academic preparation course prepares students for entry onto the full British curriculum.* As well as intensive English, students study a range of other subjects typically including: English, Maths, Science, Geography, Business Studies, Art, Physical Education, Spanish, Computing and Music.*In year 10 the course lays a solid foundation level in English language and academic skills across a range of subjects in preparation for the Fast-track IGCSE.
|Year 8-10 or Fast-track IGCSE|
|15-17||Fast-track IGCSE: Year 11
This intensive one-year IGCSE course leads to examinations in 5-7 subjects at the end of the academic year.* Subjects include English, Maths and Science, plus 1 or 2 options from Geography, Business Studies, Art and DT. Depending on prior learning, students may also be able to take IGCSE examinations in a second foreign language or their native language.*Students starting in January will only be entered for examinations in those subjects where they show ability.
– IB or A Level
|15-17||Fast-track Foundation: Year 11
This intensive English and academic preparation course is for students with lower levels of English who need to focus on intensive language tuition in preparation for higher level exam courses. Subjects include intensive English, Maths, Art, Physical Education, Science and Computing. Students may be entered for IGCSE examinations in those subjects where they show ability. Students who have made excellent progress will be offered a place in Rossall’s Sixth Form.
|Sixth Form – IB or A level or Fast-track IGCSE|
|16-17||Fast-track Advance: Year 11-13
This course is intended as a 7 or 8 term A Level or IB programme. Students join a Fast-track English and academic preparation course for 1 or 2 terms and then progress directly onto A Level or IB. This course provides a solid foundation for entry into Sixth Form, enabling students to develop their English language, study skills and academic subject knowledge. For full details of A Level and IB courses click here.
Students have the option to join us for the first 1 or 2 terms only.
– IB or A Level and University
|11-17||Fast-track short-term programme (Fast-track Taster courses)
We can often accommodate students wishing to come for a Rossall immersion experience for a shorter period of time. In most cases, students will join an existing programme, but sometimes it is also possible to arrange tailor-made courses for groups on request. Please contact us to discuss your needs.
|Varies depending on entry level||Flexible||Varies depending on entry level|
For further information, please contact us: email@example.com
- Courses run throughout the academic year from September to July with different entry points
- On all courses, students have 30 hours a week of timetabled lessons in a range of subjects, including 2 hours of games (sport), and EAL where required
- Most students come for a full year or longer but you can also join us for one or two terms, or contact us to discuss short-term options
- Mainstream and special Fast-track International Courses for boys and girls aged 11-18
- Small classes, with a normal maximum of 12 students, and often fewer (although this may occasionally rise to 14 for some examination preparation classes)
- Qualified and experienced EAL teachers
- General English for living and studying in the UK
- Examination preparation for KET, PET, FCE, CAE, IELTS, IGCSE English as a Second Language and First Language English
- Full access to our fantastic range of academic, cultural and social activities, sports and trips, with many opportunities to mix with our British students
- British and international students live together in boarding houses
- Termly reports or grade cards
- Full residential 24-hour supervision
- On-site medical centre with qualified staff
- Located in north-west England on a safe and secure campus on the coast
- Meet and greet service available from Manchester and Liverpool airports
- Course fees listed in the brochure on this website
- When on school trips, older children may be allowed some free time to explore locations or go shopping (accompanied by a friend and for limited periods of time), providing that they have their mobile phone with them and that they understand where the meeting point is and how to get there. They will also have maps and staff mobile phone contact numbers at all times.
What to pack
- Casual/smart clothes (trousers, jumpers, fleece, shirts, T-shirts etc.)
- Dressing gown
- Washing bag and toiletries
- Shoe cleaning kit, polish and spare laces
- Towels (shower and sports)
- Duvet, pillow, duvet cover and pillow case (OPTIONAL)
*Laptops are optional and not essential. There is ample access to School computers in all Houses.
- Pencil case with HB pencils, pencil sharpener, eraser, coloured pencils, fountain pen and ballpoint pen (black or blue ink only)
- 30cm ruler
- School bag
- Glue stick
- Sticky tape
- Scientific calculator (as recommended by the Maths Department)
The International Baccalaureate Diploma is a unique educational qualification offered by over 200 schools in the UK and recognised worldwide as the educational ‘gold standard’.
Rossall students achieve excellent exam results at GCSE, A Level and in their International Baccalaureate qualifications and go on to study at top universities all over the world.
A school’s curriculum goes to the very heart of education.