As a school, we do quite a lot of thinking! But it is not important simply ‘to think’ but to consider how we think and explore different ways of thinking. With this in mind, Thinking Skills are an integral part of learning at Rossall for our youngest learners to our Sixth Formers at the top of the school.
Assumptions that underpin thinking skills programmes:
– Intelligence can be improved – it is a potential, rather than a fixed capacity.
– The brain is like a muscle, if we don’t use it, we lose it. If we use it we can develop it.
– Thinking is how we use our brains and develop their potential.
– Most brains are underused and are capable of further development, so we can all become better thinkers.
– Learning is a consequence of thinking. We learn best when we make sense of what we are learning and relate it to what we already know.
– We can intervene to help others develop or enrich their brains through higher order thinking. These skills can be taught.
– Enhanced thinking skills will transfer across a range of subjects and learning contexts.
Our teaching staff are our most precious resource; they are key to the school's delivery of engaging, well-paced and inspirational lessons.
A school’s curriculum goes to the very heart of education.
One of the greatest advantages of a school like Rossall is the holistic learning experience afforded by a rich and varied extra-curricular programme.