Pre-Prep & Prep School
Pre-Prep and Prep School (Ages 4-11)
There is a palpable buzz right across the Pre-Prep and Prep School – our inspired learners bounce into School and have wonderful days. It is exciting to see what these young minds and bodies can achieve in such a stimulating and enriching environment. The benefits of being part of a whole school campus are clear, with access to stunning facilities, including our 25-metre pool, the Petting Farm, a full-size AstroTurf and two theatres.
In a 2019 ISI report, “All pre-prep and prep school pupils demonstrate excellent attitudes towards their learning. They work collaboratively as well as individually. They are inquisitive, highly motivated and display curiosity about the world beyond the classroom. They achieve well because the pre-prep and prep school curriculum enables them to take responsibility for their own learning and they relish the opportunity to do so.”
We combine quality education with a rich variety of sport, activity and creativity, which is available for all of our pupils at Rossall. This ranges from football and rugby through to the ball sport, Fives, and our own unique sports game, RossHockey. In doing this we create a compelling mix of physical and mental activities – our young learners are always busy and abuz
Pre-Prep School Prospectus
Preparatory School Prospectus
Preparatory School Handbook 2020
I am delighted to welcome you to our Rossall Pre-Prep. This is a school community bound together by friendship, fun and the absolute joy of learning together. It is our responsibility to help children take their first steps upon their educational journey through School. We do so in an environment which is pastorally nurturing and educationally supportive.
The emphasis in the Pre-Prep is upon creativity, exploration and developing initial skills in terms of maths, language and literacy. Our curriculum is diverse and exciting and it is designed to challenge, motivate and inspire children to find out more about the world around them.
We nurture children so that they grow and develop into confident, independent and resilient young learners, unafraid to tackle new challenges and always keen to build on their skills and attributes as they move into Prep School and beyond.
Miss Grace Finney
Head of Pre-Prep
View our Nursery and Pre-Prep Prospectus:
Through immersion in our Rossall Reception Readiness sessions in Nursery, children successfully move up into the Pre-Prep School already possessing a familiarity with their environment and class teacher. Children new to the School in Reception meet their classmates ahead of the beginning of term and, by the end of the first week, it is as if they have all known each other for ever!
Our fantastic teachers and exciting curriculum promote and nurture the fundamental stages of development and this is achieved through child-led exploration and play. Gradually, elements of structured learning are introduced and we begin to put in place the building blocks that support future learning.
In Reception, we follow the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) programme, alongside Rossall’s own enhanced curriculum. Our caring teachers develop Early Learning Goals specific to each individual child. All of this occurs within our wonderfully designed classrooms and inspiring natural environment.
- Separate, secure outdoor play facilities
- Beach and woodland areas that provide countless opportunities for adventure and fun
- Access to the swimming pool for lessons
- Rossall’s own bespoke Pre-Prep Curriculum
YEAR 1 / YEAR 2
From the age of five upwards, the Rossall Pre-Prep Curriculum serves to support the continuing development of independent learning skills whilst engendering curiosity and creativity. Alongside this is a focus upon subject specific rigour. The Pre-Prep curriculum offers all pupils the opportunity to develop their skills, knowledge and understanding. In doing so, it provides a secure foundation for success within our Prep School, Senior School and beyond.
The move towards a more formal classroom setting is gentle and gradual. Pupils embrace the opportunities that ‘grown up’ classrooms provide but they are still able to revert to simply playing. Pupils across Year 1 and Year 2 join in with a variety of exciting events linked to the Preparatory School.
- Bespoke, broad and challenging curriculum
- Small class size
- Rossall Rotation including opportunities for cooking, coding, farm skills, baking, astronomy, beach and woodland school activities
- Wrap-around care and exciting activities programme
- Plenty of opportunities for parental involvement in terms of determining each pupil’s educational journey and celebrating significant milestones
A typical Pre-Prep day runs as:
- 8:30am – Funky Fingers activities and handwriting
- 8:50am – Communication, Language and Literacy based activities
- 10:20am – Snack and Play
- 10:45am – Maths and child led activities
- 11:50am – Lunch
- 1pm – Topic based activities across the seven areas of learning
- 2pm – Spanish delivered by a specialist teacher
- 3:15pm – Story and Home time
Years 1 and 2
- 8:30am – Morning Activity such as some independent Maths
- 8:50am – Phonics
- 9:20am – Maths
- 10:20am – Snack and Break
- 10:45am – English
- 11:50am – Lunch
- 1pm – Science or Topic
- 2pm – Rossall Rotation(off to the farm to help learn how to look after animals, to the beach to complete some beach art or to the astronomy centre to learn about constellations and planets.)
- 3:15pm – Story and Home time
A typical Preparatory day runs as:
- 8.00am School opens to pupils
- 8.15am Registration in Classrooms
- 8.30am Lessons commence
- 12.00pm Lunch
- 1.15pm School Assembly in Museum Theatre
- 1.35pm Lessons commence
4.00pm Prep School End of the School Day and Clubs Programme
Pupils from ages 4 to 11 also participate in a Chapel Service on a Friday.